As the summer approaches we are starting to see temperatures hitting the high 70’s. At least over here in West Michigan. This is a great time to start getting into some good habits that can save you money and headaches over the summer season. Most of these tips are very easy to adopt.
- Adjust your programmable thermostat to a summer schedule.
- On cooler nights/days, turn off the A/C, open the windows.
- Close the blinds and curtains, especially in the afternoon when the sun is the strongest.
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts.
- Make sure the downspouts are extended at least 5 ft from the foundation.
- Plant flowers and shrubs that are native to the area to conserve water usage.
- Many homes become humid as the weather warms up. In this case consider using a de-humidifier.
- Change HVAC filter (this should be checked monthly).
- If you are going to water your lawn, water it at night. DO NOT water it during the hot part of the day or even during the day.
- Spend as much time outdoors as possible, fresh air is good for you!
I realize most of these are common sense, but you would be surprised at how many are ignored. I hope you enjoy the summer as much as we do.
If you have some concerns about the efficiency, safety and/or water management of your home, please contact us today. Our Home Energy Audit is a great way to improve the performance of your home.